Canton Crossing Central Plant, Baltimore, Maryland
Mechanical & HVAC Systems: Centrifugal Chillers Services
The Industrial Facility Project
The Constellation Energy Projects and Services Group sought to build a 35,000 square foot central plant to furnish chilled and hot water to the energy transfer station located in the 17-story Canton Crossing office tower. The central plant provides service to several of the office buildings and restaurants within the complex.
Poole & Kent Mechanical Contractor Role
Constellation Energy Projects and Services Group awarded Poole and Kent the mechanical services contract to complete the following installation of commercial HVAC equipment and systems:
- A 2,500 ton centrifugal chiller system, which includes the design for a total of three additional 2,500 ton centrifugal chillers;
- (2) 60 HP cooling towers with a system design to include a total of six additional 60HP cooling towers;
- (3) 50 HP heating water pumps. These pumps are on a skid that have been pre-piped and are designed to allow for two additional pumps;
- (3) 150 HP chilled water pumps. System is designed to include an additional 150 HP and a 250 HP pump;
- (3) 125 HP condenser water pumps. System is designed to include two additional 125 HP pumps;
- (2) hot water 500 HP boilers, one hot water 80 HP boiler.
- A 30,000 gallon fuel storage tank.
Challenges/ Achievements/ Goals
Our proactive coordination on this mechanical construction project was an intricate part in the prompt identification and resolution of potential design and installation issues. Vandalism occurred on the project during construction. This crime could have impeded the project schedule; however, Poole and Kent’s project team worked closely with Constellation Energy and Hale Properties to ensure the timely recovery of materials and immediate repair to the project.
"Your project team demonstrated not only a clear understanding of the project requirements, but also their understanding of large central plant and district energy projects in general, which was an invaluable asset to our team."
- Ronald Melchior, Lead Project Manager
Constellation Energy Projects & Service Group